Monday 7 January 2019

CBT: Session One ‘Why Do I Feel So Bad?’

I’ve been off work for four months with various neurological symptoms and have been diagnosed with ‘chronic migraines’, for which I am now on beta-blockers. Having sat at home for four months, it seems I now also have depression, for which I have just started Sertraline and have been enrolled in an eight week group course of cognitive behavioural therapy. I had my first session this evening.

It wasn’t exactly what I expected. One of the group actually said, “I expected it to be like Alcoholics Anonymous’” but instead, it was twelve people sitting in two rows, in front of a PowerPoint presentation. We had one exercise in partners, otherwise we were just talked at and asked general questions. There was no ‘sharing’. CBT is about thoughts and behaviour rather than emotions, which is a relief because I was worried I would get too emotional.

I read through one of the books when I got home. I will look at  the exercises tomorrow. It seems like  Terry Pratchett’s concept of second and third thoughts - thinking about how I’m thinking about what I’m thinking. It makes sense. I just hope I can put it into practice. I will have a chance tomorrow as I have an *informal* meeting with my boss and HR to discuss returning to work. I am terrified, but I need to get back into a routine.

Maybe blogging about it will help. Who knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment