Wednesday 22 May 2013

RSVP

I just received a wedding invitation from a guy I have known since we were nine years old.  We are now 27 and I am left with a "when the hell did that happen?!" feeling, like a punch in the stomach.  This will be the third such wedding I have been to.  I love the invitations with the little bows and silver-embossed writing on expensive paper, spelling the inevitable letters, RSVP.

Running through my list of friends I think I am the only one without a plus-one, which doesn't really bother me.  Other people would think *gasp* "you can't go to a wedding by yourself!  That's so sad!"

Why?

I don't feel ashamed that I am single.  No one should.  I do, very occasionally think it would be nice to have someone to share stuff, but I am quite content in my own little selfish bubble.  Yes, selfish.  I don't want to have to share my time, energy, food, or, perhaps most importantly, my space.

So I will turn up to the wedding looking stunning, obviously.  You never know, I might meet a nice bridesmaid...

No comments:

Post a Comment